#MentalHealthAwarenessWeek – Kindness
#MentalHealthAwarenessWeek and the theme this year is Kindness. We were one step ahead when we chose kindness as one of our values in January. Chosen by our staff – we started with over 100 suggestions and whittled it down to Kindness, Integrity and Commitment – they truly reflect what we stand for.
To mark Mental Health Awareness Week, we asked our staff why they chose kindness as a core value and this is what they said:
- I chose kindness because it has the power to make people feel connected and plays an important part in people’s happiness; it’s not only good for the person who receives it but also the person who gives.
- Kindness costs nothing but means everything.
- Kindness is fundamental in all positive relationships and the key to engaging with people.
- Acts of kindness restore faith in mankind and can be a key in change which is what Catalyst is.
- Kindness is a quality of being friendly, generous and considerate.
- Kindness is seeing the best in others when they cannot see it themselves – this sums up what we try to do everyday with the clients.
Our CEO also had a few words to say about Kindness within our organisation…
- We encourage staff to be kind to themselves; during this pandemic our emotional wellbeing and mental health is important as we try and find a new normal and adapt to new ways of working – be mindful of working beyond capacity to keep up with the demands of email, meetings and deadlines and be kind to yourself.
- As an organisation it is important that kindness is embedded within ourselves and to each other so we can support our clients in their time of need in a person centred approach.
And some were inspired by this lovely quote…
But are they lessons, all these things I learn
Through being so far gone in my decline?
The wages of experience I earn
Would service well a younger life than mine.
I should have been more kind. It is my fate
To find this out, but find it out too late.
Be More Kind by Frank Turner – inspired by a quote from the late Clive James