World Suicide Prevention Day 2022
World Suicide Prevention Day – Creating Hope Through Action
Observed on September 10th every year, World Suicide Prevention Day (WSPD) provides the opportunity for people across the globe, to raise awareness of suicide and suicide prevention. We are joining with thousands of organisations around the world to help raise awareness of suicide and help reduce the number of deaths lost to suicide. By encouraging understanding, reaching in and sharing experiences, we want to give people the confidence to take action.
We will be supporting the day on social media to help reduce the stigma and raise awareness about services available in Surrey.
You can be the light.
Some useful tips to help a person if you feel they could be suicidal:
1. Speak up if you’re worried – Talking to a friend or family member about their suicidal thoughts and feelings can be extremely difficult. But if you’re unsure whether someone is suicidal, the best way to find out is to ask.
2. Respond quickly in a crisis – If a suicide attempt seems imminent, you can call:
– Samaritans (24hours) – 116 123
– Surrey Mental Health Crisis Line (24hours) – 0800 915 4644
– Emergency Services – 999
or take the person to:
– one of the 5 Safe Havens in Surrey and NE Hants (if there are no immediate physical health requirements)
– an emergency department
3.Offer help and support – Offer an empathetic, listening ear. Let the person know that you care. If you would like professional support and advice, we can help. And remember to look after yourself and find someone to talk to if you are caring for a suicidal person.
If you or a loved one are struggling, reach out and ask for help. Here are just a few services in Surrey that can offer wellbeing help:
Catalyst / Community Connections– 1-1 support, wellbeing activities and signposting
Safe Havens – out of hours support for those experiencing mental health crisis
Mental Health Crisis Line – Surrey – 0800 915 4644
Oakleaf – Wellbeing groups / activities – Guildford and Waverley
Canterbury Care Centre – Wellbeing groups / activities – Guildford
Mary Frances Trust – 1-1 support, wellbeing groups, activities and signposting